26 March 2009

Holy crap Batman that hurt

The last two weeks have been much of the same. I can't seem to find the time to work out as much as I would like or need to. I make it in on the weekends. Monday's are out because of all those people that fail to work out over the weekend try and make up for it on Monday. Since I work in a germ factory of an office, Tuesday's are my allergy days. By the afternoon's my head is pounding, nose stuffed up, eye's watery and itchy. By the time Wednesday comes around the motivation to work out during the week evaporated. My parents were in town half of last week and half of this week.

Amazingly, there was a seamless transition on my injection meds. The people from Shared Solutions called me five days after my appointment, said they would send an informational packet and told me to call in a few days if I hadn't heard anything on a delivery. In the meantime, even though I said I didn't need a nurse to come out for the show and tell session, they were sending one anyway. I called back a few days later and they said they faxed off the prescription to my specialty pharmacy and I should call them that day. Called the pharmacy and it was ready to go and would be delivered on a Tuesday, my Rebif ran out on Wednesday and the nurse came today.

You have to hand it to the drug companies. They have more promo items to give away. I got a mesh back, a water bottle, hand sanitizer, hand cream, sun glass case, chap stick with holder, sun screen, magnetic picture frame, combination ice/hot pack and of course the obligatory pens. In this case three. Of course they all have Copaxone on them.

The nurse spent about twenty minutes here. In the end she said she felt pretty useless. Most of the people she's sees are newly diagnosed so they need the whole song and dance. After the question and answer session came the moment of truth. Since I have to shoot up every day, I can't really pick and choose where I stick myself, I started with the back of the arm. While the steroids have put 20 points on me since I took the first dose 18 months ago, like most men, it's mostly on my waist. The rest of me is rock hard muscle.

I used the auto-injector simply because it's easier. Not a lot of fat to pinch so . . . deep breath let it out, since she told me it burns just like Rebif, pull the trigger and . . . hey . . . that didn't burn. A minute or so later, it felt like somebody gave me a good pinch, a couple minutes after that it felt like somebody punched me with a knuckle sticking out. Four hours later, it's almost stopped hurting.

So . . . HOLY CRAP BATMAN, THAT HURT.

Tomorrow . . . we'll try my hip or stomach.

2 comments:

steve said...

BR and I did shots of tequila with the nurse that taught us the auto-ject.

Didn't hurt so much.

Karen B said...

That injector is wayyyyy too much for me.. - you are so brave.. I just do it the old fashioned way. I'm on Rebif.