04 May 2008

Titles? Who needs them.

Not much in a writing mood today. The creative juices for a pithy title aren't flowing.

Not much happened last week. No news is good news. I was sore for a couple days after my new venture into volleyball. It was a good pain though. I worked out three times during the week. I took Friday off of work and lifted heavy for my upper body on Friday. Saturday, I had the deep muscle pain. I also played volleyball again for a couple hours. I even managed to run around and sprint without the decrease co-ordination that was usually associated with the myelitis. I may even try to run sometime this week. My three shots went fine as well. I didn't have the usually morning aches on Tuesday. That's been hit and miss for the last month or so.

I also saw some people that I haven't seen in a while. They told me they did the MS Walk because of me. Flattering and I said think you, but it's always an emotional rollercoaster when I get told that. It just sends my mind swimming. On one level, I am still trying to wrap my head around all of this. What is life going to hold for me? Am I ever going to present with recognizable symptoms? What happens if and when I ever do? What damage is going to be done?

Then, the objective, logical, and cynical portion of my brain kicks in. The MS Walks and rides are supposed to raise money for research. As with all things when there's a "National" involved . . . how much of that money goes towards administration costs and how much goes for actual research. With some charity organizations, it's absurd how much goes towards administrative costs and how little gets to the people who really need it.

I'm not naive enough to believe that there will be a cure in my life. There very well may be a cure, but believing in it is probably a false hope. How many auto-immune diseases are out there that are "controlable and managable" and how many are cureable. If anything, a cure probably isn't in a drug. As with all things, it will probably start at the genetic level and changing some gene that tells the body to stop attacking itself. It's only been 10 years or so since the Human Genome Project was completed.

Music Artist of the Week: Ryan Adams

Pop, folk, country.

"Love is Hell" is probably my favorite album. It has an excellent cover of "Wonderwall" and "Avalanche" is excellent and has been in a ton of movies. For One Tree Hill fans . . . Haley and Chis Keller covered "When the Stars go Blue." I like the Ryan Adams version better.

No comments: