17 June 2008

"On the dark side of the moon . . ."

Such is summer . . . the time of being busy and just hanging out, spur of the moment plans and enjoying the moment.

The shots went okay last Monday and Friday. Wednesday's almost made my knees buckle it hurt so bad. Thursday, I did something I haven't done in a long time. I left work, went to the courts and played volleyball for a couple hours, went to the Y, played in a league game, went and got some dinner and then went back and played some more sand. Friday was a little rough but it was worth it.

Today, I played again and played horrible. Not that anyone else could do any better. It could be that I am just out of practice. Fundamentals are called that because they are fundamental. When I was at the top of my game, the fundamentals were things that I didn't have to think about. Feet placement: perfect; balance: perfect; court vision and court sense: perfect. Today, I had to think about all of those things before I did them.

I did show some signs of past glory. I had a one handed back set that went from zone four to nine. As usual with those sets, not only did I fake out the other team, but my team as well. Then I had an open hand dig on a driven ball.

On the home front . . . the parents put a contract down on a house today. It's everything that I hate. It's a gated community, high gabled roof, the street name is the typical manufactured, symbiotic to the name of community, the typical, cookie cutter house. It does have some character to it, but it lacks vision. A house isn't just four walls, a door and windows.

Since no artist of the week last week . . . this week we'll go with Siouxsie and the Banshee's. 'Nuff said.

No comments: